Friday, May 25, 2012

this, that and the other


I have been busting my butt to get some projects done. Well, sort of. I did use yesterday's storm as an excuse to get out of working but at least I picked up a few things at the hardware store so I can get back to busting my butt this weekend. Well, today and tomorrow anyway, I hear there's another storm brewing up for Sunday. Supposed to be 93 degrees!! If it's not too crazy outside, I might have Jody set up the old AC unit sitting in the garage to see if that helps. 

Anyway, back to this, that and the other. I’m still working on the window screen/jewelry hanger for my friend. I painted the bottom coat in Espresso Bean by Behr, a left over sample paint I bought when I glazed the Antique White window mirror. I really like the look of the darker color underneath the main color and since it was a paint and primer in one I didn’t have to prime the frame. Then I painted it with two coats of Rivulet by Sherwin Williams. I love that place by the way.

I was super scared about how it would turn out since this was my first time using a darker paint underneath so I sanded the frame by hand rather than using the electric sander. I wanted to distress it enough to show the brown and not too much that it just showed the wood. I think it turned out pretty well. And since the Rivulet I bought was a sample paint, (a mighty fine quart sized sample thanks to SW. See why I love them so much.) I thought it would be a good idea to seal it with a clear coat. This was my first time using Polycrylic and I’m not sure I fancy the idea. After the first coat I noticed that the paint crackled. I was a little upset at first because I don’t think it’s supposed to do that, but it actually looks kind of cool and more “antiqued.”

Remember that other smaller screen I showed you a picture of in the last post? That’s what I’m also working on. It was quite a pain to try and strip it so I skipped that step and just sanded the crap out of it. For this one I used primer (not sure why), then one coat of brown and now it’s waiting for its second coat of Rivulet.

And the other thing I’m working on is another window mirror to make sure I have something to post on Etsy since I sold everything a couple of weeks ago. My poor little etsy shop, it’s empty! Which is good and bad. Good because I actually sold EVERYTHING (YAY!) but bad because there’s nothing left to buy (boo).

I’m so anxious to get home and get to work. I have one hour left until I’m free! Hopefully by Monday I'll have two new things to list on Etsy and my friend will be receiving her handmade jewelry screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment