Monday, May 14, 2012

a little something I'm working on...


As I was boarding my flight to California, I received a notification from Etsy that another one of my window mirrors was purchased.  Yay! But that meant there's only one mirror window left so I made a plan to start busting out some new projects when I returned.

{By the way, my trip to California was so much fun! My niece is so darn cute!}

As for my upcoming project, my friend recently pinned a cute old window turned jewelry hanger to Pinterest and I couldn't help but think about the two screens I have sitting in the garage. I mentioned to her that I could probably make something similar and her response was "Well, what are you waiting for?!?!"

Here are the screens I showed her. 

Screen #1

 Screen #2


She of course loved the first one with the handles, as did I. However, while I don't necessarily love that the left side of the frame is thinner than the right, it will at least add more personality to final piece. I plan to save the handles and attach them once the screen has been painted and distressed.

{Side note: I found a super cute yellow paint color this weekend thanks to Pinterest. It's called White Raisin by Sherwin Williams. I can't wait to test it out on one of my windows! Maybe even screen #2. I'd show you a quick picture of the color but the SW website doesn't do it justice.}

So far I've stripped screen #1 and hopefully if I have enough energy this evening I'll sand it. The original metal screen was fairly easy to remove. I just had to pop off the back frame and pull out the screen. When I have time, I'll swing by our local hardware store and check out their chicken wire.


The chicken wire will be adhered to the back either with u-shaped nails that Jody mentioned I could use or pick up a heavy duty staple gun depending on which is cheaper and more efficient. I'll also pick up some s-hooks so Julie will be able to hang her bracelets and necklaces.

Check back later to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment