Monday, August 8, 2011

The Shelf Project


Okay, so maybe this doesn't fall into the "vintage" category but it's still neat. Plus, our walls are bare and I thought it would be fun to refinish.

Check it out, this shelf was not cute before I got my hands on it.


 Who ever put this thing together did not know what they were doing.
And they chipped the wood in the process.

As soon as I saw this shelf I just knew it needed a little TLC. So I brought it home, took it apart, and got started!

Oooh aaah! Stripped and sanded!

I'm so glad that Jody didn't mind me painting in the house. It was soooo flipping hot outside and I already spent enough time sweating my face off. Jody somehow found that cute. I did not. Sweat=gross!

Do you remember that odd backing to the shelf that was also painted black and had a little screw stuck through it? It didn't really match the rest of the wood and was pointless to strip or sand so I tossed it and replaced it with beadboard. 

Thanks to another fun blog I came across which gave me a cool idea for how to frame pictures to hang from my fancy new window mirror, I had some beadboard handy. I suppose you'll see a another post on picture frames in the near future.

Here's what it looked like after I painted and attached the beadboard.
Isn't it pretty?!?!

Look, no more chipping wood.

No more ugly screws that were improperly placed.
 Distressed just a tad to give it an old feel.

 These cute little birdies and keys are what I found at Atelier in Buffalo.

Now it's finished and ready to hang. I just need to figure out where.

And now back to vegging on the couch. I caught someone's nasty cold this weekend and have been at home all day trying not to sneeze and staying awake long enough to post this blog. I'm so bummed too because I really wanted to get started on my next window mirror. Time to rest so I can work on it when I'm all better.


No comments:

Post a Comment